Job hunting is a headache for many job seekers. But job postings are often fraught with complications for companies as well. Facebook Jobs is supposed to help out with this and simplify the topic around the job search. Simplify is exactly the right keyword: Facebook Jobs does without any frills and concentrates on placing employees in the most uncomplicated way possible. In this article, you will find out what advantages and disadvantages this entails.
The job offers through Facebook Jobs, a user usually finds in his news feed. There, the ads hardly differ visually from other content. Users can easily apply via the “Apply Now” button. Facebook then automatically suggests relevant profile details, though you can also edit and add to them. A targeted search for job offers in the area is possible in an overview. Jobs can be filtered by location, industry and type of job. In addition, it is also possible to search for a suitable job title. By subscribing to the job portal, one is kept up to date about new job offers. The basic requirement for creating a job ad is to have a Facebook page with which the job offer can be linked. There, the ads can be clearly managed and created. Facebook Jobs is best suited for jobs that require little explanation. In contrast to other job portals, the selection of tools is very limited. The following is a list of the options given:
- Post text: The post text that appears above your post – here you need to describe the post as attractively as possible.
- Photo: Here you can either use the cover photo of your Facebook page or post a photo that matches the job. The format is similar to the usual link post. You can always find the current image sizes in the Facebook Ads Guide.
- Job title: Facebook makes suggestions in the drop-down menu.
- Location: Place of work. Here too there are suggestions in the dropdown menu
- Payment (optional): Per hour, day, week or month.
- Job type: full-time, part-time, etc.
- Description: A detailed description of the future job.
- Questions to the applicant: Up to three can be deposited. The options here are limited to free-text, yes/no and multiple-choice questions
A job ad will be automatically deactivated after 30 days unless it is actively renewed. Currently, the creation of job ads is still free, but optionally an advertising budget can be used to increase the reach of the posting. As soon as someone applies for a job, you get a message via the regular inbox of the Facebook page. In the inbox you can then see all the data that the applicant has provided. Further information can be collected via the applicant’s Facebook profile, depending on the privacy setting. It is also possible to be informed about new applications by mail, but the application itself is not forwarded by Facebook. Since the applicant’s personal data is stored exclusively on Facebook’s servers, you should talk to the works council or a lawyer beforehand about compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation. A response for the applicant can be written directly via Messenger or mail. It is also possible to manage applications via the publishing tool.
What significance Facebook Jobs will have in the future remains to be seen. What is certain, however, is that the portal scores above all with its simple functionality and simplifies the application process enormously for both employees and employers.